[BCFSN] Media advisory - Secwepemc Women Warrior Society protest Imperial Metals mines at Toronto Stock Exchange today

Dawn Morrison dmo6842 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 16:16:36 EDT 2014

MEDIA ADVISORY

August 7, 2014

Media Contact: 250-682-2744    Kanahus Manuel

Today: Secwepemc Women Warrior Society protest Imperial Metals mines at
Toronto Stock Exchange Today

Toronto -- In response to the devastating Mount Polley Imperial Metals
tailings spill in the Secwepemc Territory in BC earlier this week,
Secwepemc Women Warrior Society Member Kanahus Manuel and allies are
gathering at the Toronto Stock Exchange to voice opposition to this
company, demand the government and Imperial Metals act fast to clean this
spill and to sing songs and send prayers for our Salmon and Water and all
those impacted.

This emergency rally is called by the Secwepemc Women. At the Toronto Stock
Exchange 130 King St W 3 pm - 5 pm

"I am here for only one day and am torn about Imperial Metals tailings
spill that has wreaked havoc on my homelands, since my family and Peoples
have been fighting this same mine for years. We will send our war cries
into the universe. Lets force the Toronto Stock Exchange to pull Imperial
Metals off the TSX." Kanahus Manuel, Secwepemc Women Warrior Society

The recent tailings pond breach and toxic spill disaster by Imperial Metals
in the Cariboo region sent a slurry-like mixture of 10 million cubic metres
of water and 4.5 million cubic metres of fine sediment into Polley Lake,
Hazelton Creek and into Quesnel Lake. This has huge devastating impacts on
drinking water quality and salmon runs. This is one of the most disastrous
environmental events, a result of unfettered access to mining companies to
unceded Indigenous lands.

The Secwepemc chiefs have also announced that Imperial Metals must shut
down business within the Secwepemc Nation and has called on a moratorium on
mining within their Territory, one of the biggest Indigenous Nations in
BC.  In a press release Grand Chief Stewart Phillip has stated "What we
have now in BC and Canada, as a consequence of weak environmental review
procedures and the federal omnibus bills C-38 and C-45, are repugnant and
reprehensible processes of rubber-stamp approvals that shamelessly pander
to industry and tragically at the great expense of environmental
devastation."

A Secwepemc land defender Janice Billy says, "Stop the destruction of
Mother Earth, no more mining on our territories."

BACKGROUND ON IMPERIAL METALS: Imperial Metals, operates the Mount Polley
tailings pond. Imperial Metals has a number of other proposed projects
including Ruddock Creek project which is located near Tum Tum lake in the
headwaters of the Upper Adams River. The project is in the advanced stage
of exploration but has not obtained the consent of Neskonlith for current
or any future activities. The Secwepec territory includes the Adamas River
Watershed – home to the world’s largest sockeye salmon run and the location
of Imperial’s Ruddock Creek lead and zinc project. The area is of great
importance to the Neskonlith who continue to use and occupy the area for
hunting, gathering, education and ceremonies. In addition to being the
headwaters of the Adams River, the area is also home to threatened mountain
caribou and grizzly bear populations. Imperial Metals is also planning two
mining projects in Clayoquot Sound. Chitaapi (Catface Mountain) in Ahousaht
territory, contains low-grade copper-molybdenum ore. Catface Mountain mine
is a mountain-top removal scheme that would take place only 3 km from the
village of Ahousat. Fandora, a potential gold mine, would be at the head of
Tranquil Valley, on Tla-o-qui-aht territory, for which the provincial
government is currently reviewing an application for exploration. They have
not consulted with the Tla-o-qui-aht, who are opposed to mining in their
homelands.  The Tahltan Nation for northern BC is also opposed to Imperial
Metals’ Red Chris mine and the Wet’suwet’in are also opposed to Imperial
Metals Huckleberry Mine.

Dawn Morrison,

Research Associate, Indigenous Community Engagement
Southwest BC Bioregional Food Systems Design and Plan
Kwantlen Polytechnic University
Office: 604.599.2569
Email: dawn.morrison at kpu.ca
Website: http://www.kpu.ca/isfs